Skip to main content

Impressed.

It's 8:00 o'clock am.  I'm still in bed glancing out our bedroom window.  There's one ray of sunshine piercing through a dense cloudy sky and illuminating the pool, full of snow.  There's a pink glow spooning white covered roof tops.  It's the kind of  picture you see on postcards.  It's beautiful but cold.  
Today, it's -11 degrees celcius.  It's hard to believe that just a week ago we were in Mexico where the temperature was +33 degrees celcius. Since we've been back everyone has been having a hard time getting back into routine.  It seems like we all wish we could live where the weather isn't so cold.  Personally,  I miss the sun.  I wish it would show up more often up here in Quebec. I admit that I love having four seasons but I wish winter wasn't so long even though it isn't really longer than spring or summer if you count the months.  I think that it's more a question of impression than actual fact.  
I've come to pay more attention to impressions lately because I noticed how they influence my behaviors, my attitudes and even my actions and reactions.    Impressions are underlying perceptions that exist almost like shadows to experiences, events, and people etc....  For example when I was in Mexico I met this man at a jewelry store.  He didn't seem motivated to sell me anything at first glance.  He sat on a stool polishing rings while clients moved around browsing.  It's only when I approached him with questions that he suddenly reacted like a salesman.  He suggested jewels to buy and calculated prices before I even showed interest in the objects.  
At first impression I thought that he loved his merchandise and allowed it to sell itself but as I interacted with the man my impression changed.  He was no different than any other Mexican vendor who seemed caught in survival mode. He was pushy and wasn't going to take "no" for an answer. I did end up buying a ring and bracelet from this man but only because he shared a story about himself.  He was curious with the fact that I spoke French and told me that his mother tongue was Mayan.  He explained that the Mayan language was actually closer to the English language.  "Chocolate" he said "is almost pronounced the same way."  He talked about his family and where he lived.  He allowed himself to be intimate.  
I questioned my "impressions" once I got back on the ship.  Was he like a shark oblivious to the objects and focused on a sale or was he more like an artist in love with his jewelry and certain that they were well worth the price?  It was clear that it mattered to me one way or another.  Impressions shape our life story and memories.  I didn't wear the ring and the bracelet until I figured out "the impressions" that I had surrounding this interaction.  
I'm a teacher of the Medicine Wheel and Indigenous Dreaming -  impressions are a huge part of my life and I teach my students how to recognize their impressions and live well with them.   I finally ended up wearing the jewelry that first night of classes once we were back home.  It made sense to walk into a class room with all kinds of stories to tell even though some of them weren't quite finished yet...  I talked about the jewelry and the Mayan man noticing that it stirred all kinds of feelings and "impressions" in my students. 
We often talk about storytelling as entertaining but storytelling is so much more than that it helps us learn and heal; it helps us grow and change; it helps us to open up to new things and it challenges us etc.... I think that both my impressions were right and that perhaps, if I would have had other impressions as well they too would have been valid.  For the fifteen minutes that I spent in the jewelry store sharing with this Mayan salesman -- I learnt about myself, about the man I was interacting with and about conditioned behaviors. 
We talked about language in although it seemed to be a superficial conversation the impressions that I received through the knowledge that was shared was the both of us loved our Mother tongue.  It gave us access to our ancestors and to our history.  There was something in this that was important to me and that I would continue to explore in 2009.  
My ancestors used to build their wigwams with the door facing the East.  This is where the sun rises and where our ancestors rose every day.  I understood that impressions are gifts from the East of our sacred Wheel and that they help us build our Power Wheel one stone at a time.  Clarity is the first stone and I came home with the objective to learn to be clear in my impressions.  

Tahau!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drums and Rattles.

Lately I’ve received a few e-mails and letters from people asking questions about drums and rattles. I don’t think I’ve written a blog on this topic yet. JB wrote in his e-mail: “I often read that Drums are connected to Shamanism and often the tool of choice for Shamans. How do Shamans use drums differently than anyone else who’s in Shamanism?” I thought it was a great question. For starters, one of the reasons why a drum is an interesting tool in Shamanism is because it can mimic a heartbeat and induce a state of trance. A rapid heartbeat can trigger nervousness, excitement and even aggression. A very slow heartbeat can help in relaxation, sleep and dreaming. Every rhythm can inspire an emotion and can bring about the memory of a past experience or a parallel reality. In Shamanic circles the drum can be instrumental in healing, teaching, ceremony or ritual, expansion of consciousness as well as dreaming and journeying. Almost a decade ago I participated in a Mohawk namin

Authentic Shamanism

I brought up the topic of “authentic Shamanism” at one of my classes / circles this week. I’ve noticed especially in the last three to four years that when people speak to me about Shamanism, they often make a distinction between what they are doing and what “is out there.”  These days if you are not into Ayahuasca you are not authentically into Shamanism.  So what is “Shamanism” if it changes its appearance every decade?  Is it about altered states of consciousness through hallucinogens? Is it about ceremonies and rituals; or about soul retrieval, dreaming and healing?  Since Shamanism isn’t a Religion and doesn’t have set doctrines, then how can you anyone be clear on what makes it “authentic?” When I brought up the question this week, I received a few interesting comments.   Many of the individuals in our circles have struggled with addictions and it’s because of the Medicine Wheel teachings that their lives are full and healthy again.   The idea of defining Shamanism as a j
Shadow  Emma Vanstone writes on her blog page where she shows you how to make and play with shadows that shadows are formed when light hits an object it cannot travel through . I don’t discuss the concept of “shadow” very often.  Actually I don’t think I have ever written about it.  Honestly, I tend to be a happy-go-lucky person who keeps her eye on the positive rather than the negative.  Light definitely moves through me mainly because I choose for it to move through me.  I’m a solution-driven person who looks at challenges and crisis as an opportunity to work at letting light move through me. I guess you could say “I believe in heroes and super powers”.   Looking back at the last few years and the events of 2023, I have to admit that the world is struggling with shadows.  They surround us globally but also at smaller levels like within our communities, our families, our couple relationships and even within ourselves, within our  personal dimension.  It seems like we are being called