Skip to main content

Time and Time Again.


I’d like to be able to leave an entry on my BLOG every day but one thing leads to another and I realize that there are some days where there isn’t enough time.  When my son was little (5-6 years old) he used to say that there was a CT in the past, present and future.  He believed that there were three parts to him living life in three distinct realities.  He would explain to us that a part of him self was actually dashing towards the future and that if somehow he (in the present) changed his mind on what he wanted to do tomorrow, he had to run after this CT (in the future) to stop him before he lived through the next 24hours.  We would giggle at his understanding of time; but at the same time understood quite vividly the impressions that he was describing. 

Later on CT (10-13year old) would tell us that when he was happy and full time would move faster.  He would explain to his sister who often had bad days in school that it was a simple matter of controlling personal moods.

            “Think of something you really, really like” he’d say believing wholeheartedly in what he was saying, “and stick to it without ever letting anything else interrupt your day dreaming; and school will fly by…”

            CT spent most of his high school years dreaming that he would one day become a musician.  On his graduation day he told both my husband and I: “I don’t really care much about celebrating the last five years because my mind and soul was not involved in that experience but completely committed to what will come in the next 2 decades.” 

My husband and I basically shook our heads and replied: “OK – we know you’re all about back into the future but do us the favor to celebrate at least your human development with your parents.”  CT smiled, got dressed up in a really nice suit, even got his hair done at the stylist, and did a great job making it all look like he was enjoying every minute of it.  You have to love the kid for knowing how to fill time up with meaningful thoughts and choices.  There isn’t a day that goes by where CT hasn’t thought out his day in such a way as to make it memorable.  One night during supper he told the family: “I remember every single day of my life because I’m the one who’s writing this story.”

For me – that makes a lot of sense and I can see ME in my son.

            His sister was never able to master the skill of time management but then, her perception is directed elsewhere.  Everyone has his or her strong and weak points.  As for CT, he always dabbled with the idea of time and eventually became a really good drummer who used “time” as a daily ability.  Whenever we get a chance to talk to CT (19-20years old) now, he still speaks about his perception of time in a way that is both humorous and inspiring.  Recently he explained to me that “time is what we make of it.  It’s not real and it’s not limiting even though people like to fall back on this popular excuse.”  What I like about CT’s comprehension of time is that he doesn’t let time be any kind of issue in his life.  At first my husband and I worried about this because eventually we do grow up  -- need employment, finish school, and handle responsibilities.  Time is an important factor whether or not we wish it wasn’t.  Still CT manages do to all of this and more. 

Impressive.

When I asked him how he manages to do so much in a day?

He answered: “Time is as short and as long as you want it.  It’s really all about choices.”  Still CT admits that there are days when the CT in the future is way ahead of himself and his stealing time away from CT in the present.  Or he says: “Some days I’ve got my head way too much in yesterday and I can’t seem to do anything at all. When that happens it’s because I’ve got emotions that I bottled up and forgot to sit with and figure out.  There’s a reason for everything.” 

Last week I told my husband that it helps to talk to our kids because eventually they pick up on what we shared and made it their own.  It’s nice to see how there’s always a new way to swirl around ideas and perspective. 

It’s nice.

CT says that when he’s overwhelmed because it does happen, he tugs a bit on the rope of time and then, eventually it comes back to balance.  I think that is true!  All this to say (I guess), that when I’m not writing on my blog, I’m out there living the experiences and the life lessons that will eventually get to this page; so one way or another I’m thinking about all of you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drums and Rattles.

Lately I’ve received a few e-mails and letters from people asking questions about drums and rattles. I don’t think I’ve written a blog on this topic yet. JB wrote in his e-mail: “I often read that Drums are connected to Shamanism and often the tool of choice for Shamans. How do Shamans use drums differently than anyone else who’s in Shamanism?” I thought it was a great question. For starters, one of the reasons why a drum is an interesting tool in Shamanism is because it can mimic a heartbeat and induce a state of trance. A rapid heartbeat can trigger nervousness, excitement and even aggression. A very slow heartbeat can help in relaxation, sleep and dreaming. Every rhythm can inspire an emotion and can bring about the memory of a past experience or a parallel reality. In Shamanic circles the drum can be instrumental in healing, teaching, ceremony or ritual, expansion of consciousness as well as dreaming and journeying. Almost a decade ago I participated in a Mohawk namin

Authentic Shamanism

I brought up the topic of “authentic Shamanism” at one of my classes / circles this week. I’ve noticed especially in the last three to four years that when people speak to me about Shamanism, they often make a distinction between what they are doing and what “is out there.”  These days if you are not into Ayahuasca you are not authentically into Shamanism.  So what is “Shamanism” if it changes its appearance every decade?  Is it about altered states of consciousness through hallucinogens? Is it about ceremonies and rituals; or about soul retrieval, dreaming and healing?  Since Shamanism isn’t a Religion and doesn’t have set doctrines, then how can you anyone be clear on what makes it “authentic?” When I brought up the question this week, I received a few interesting comments.   Many of the individuals in our circles have struggled with addictions and it’s because of the Medicine Wheel teachings that their lives are full and healthy again.   The idea of defining Shamanism as a j
Shadow  Emma Vanstone writes on her blog page where she shows you how to make and play with shadows that shadows are formed when light hits an object it cannot travel through . I don’t discuss the concept of “shadow” very often.  Actually I don’t think I have ever written about it.  Honestly, I tend to be a happy-go-lucky person who keeps her eye on the positive rather than the negative.  Light definitely moves through me mainly because I choose for it to move through me.  I’m a solution-driven person who looks at challenges and crisis as an opportunity to work at letting light move through me. I guess you could say “I believe in heroes and super powers”.   Looking back at the last few years and the events of 2023, I have to admit that the world is struggling with shadows.  They surround us globally but also at smaller levels like within our communities, our families, our couple relationships and even within ourselves, within our  personal dimension.  It seems like we are being called