Skip to main content

Visit through the Rockies.


We just returned from Banff and Golden, B.C. We gave a workshop out there and like every weekend or lecture that we give -- it's life changing. Living in the Rockies is so different than living in the city. I've been back for a few weeks already and still I'm dreaming of snow covered mountains and ice cold turquoise rivers. I think that everyone who shared the Golden Weekend with us can vow that there's nothing more beautiful than waking up to the wild...

Definitely our worries were different out there. We were thinking of Bears when we went out for walks making sure to double up with partners; and we were more aware of nature because it wasn't unusual to come across Caribou, Deer or Elk on the trails. Where we come across a few Dragon Flies around our parts of the woods, out there -- there were thousands of them. Bats swam with the girls at night. Daniela told us that sometimes they would come so close to her head that she had synchronize with them as to not collide. I was amazed by the yellow Butterflies. They were all over the purple lilacs and they were beautiful. I couldn't help but notice the perfume of wild roses all over the woods and was amicably informed that it was the reason why it was selected as the provincial flower of Alberta. Cool! I wouldn't mind finding information about our Quebec "Fleur de Lys" -- it's certainly not growing all over our wilderness!??

Katya was begging to see a Cougar all week. Instead she took pictures of Rams, Ravens and Elks. It's only once Linda told her the story about how her two dogs were hunted and killed by a Cougar that she changed her mind. And this wasn't in the B.C. wilderness -- it was close to Grande Prairie, Alberta. When I asked Katya one day -- "what would you do if you came face to face with a Cougar out there?" She replied like any good Mexican, now newly Canadian, urban girl: "I would go looking in my pokets for my camera!"

For sure things were different out in the Western Rockies of Canada and although we were there only for a week, this trip around -- we certainly came home understanding that it would take adjustment to be able to live around that region full time and all the time. I certainly appreciated on my way back the courage and the strength it took for early settlers to explore our country. It must have been a risky and deadly business.

There are still people who live close to nature. A few of our participants were some of those individuals. I have to say -- "it's amazing to be able to survive without Western Society and although I have the teachings, many of you have the skills." Together we can do it all and that was good to know.

Comments

Ally said…
Evry time I spend any real length of time in "the woods" I am amazed at how our ancestors here were able to live among all the different predators and parasites. When we 'city folk' think of the woods or the wilderness, we think of how beautiful it is, and it IS. But there were hardships (as we would see them today) - finding such shelter as could protect them from predators, preserving food not only to keep it fresh and edible, but away from other animals... It gives me an appreciation for the resourcefulness of those who walked this place before me.

Ally
MaryRose said…
Thank you for this posting Lisa. It was wonderful to share our part of the world with you. Although I don't live in the wilderness of Alberta, I have lived close to it, and have had the best of both worlds. I lived on the side of the Mountain in a town in BC where we had bears, raccoons, deer, Elk and cougars visit our yard. The only animal I met up close was a raccoon, which is cool, because it is one of my totems.

Animals tend to not like humans much, and of all the people I know that live in the forest, I never heard of anyone getting hurt by a wild animal. Many of my friends have come across bears and cougars in their walks and the animals would just walk the other way. The few stories that you hear of people getting hurt are the exception, not the rule. They don't make the news when there is no one hurt. I've heard a few wonderful stories of bear and cougar encounters.

MaryRose
Michelle said…
I just saw two black bears on my weekend quad trip up our little hill by Joussard...I never really thought until you pointed it out Lisa that the Wildreness is so new to expereience it gives me a new appreciation to reconnect with the earth each time I am out and about in the trees. I have to say your energy was amazing and I think living in the tipi was a highlight to my trip:) I get spoiled when i camp with the rv so it was wonderful to ruff it so to speak :) so much so i didnt want to leave...I guess thats what makes those moments so special!
Clover
Lisa F. Tardiff said…
Thanks for your comments. I really love to read them. Your stories are fantastic. They add to the thoughts and tales I share in my blog. They complete the Wheel.

Tahau!
Lisa

Popular posts from this blog

Drums and Rattles.

Lately I’ve received a few e-mails and letters from people asking questions about drums and rattles. I don’t think I’ve written a blog on this topic yet. JB wrote in his e-mail: “I often read that Drums are connected to Shamanism and often the tool of choice for Shamans. How do Shamans use drums differently than anyone else who’s in Shamanism?” I thought it was a great question. For starters, one of the reasons why a drum is an interesting tool in Shamanism is because it can mimic a heartbeat and induce a state of trance. A rapid heartbeat can trigger nervousness, excitement and even aggression. A very slow heartbeat can help in relaxation, sleep and dreaming. Every rhythm can inspire an emotion and can bring about the memory of a past experience or a parallel reality. In Shamanic circles the drum can be instrumental in healing, teaching, ceremony or ritual, expansion of consciousness as well as dreaming and journeying. Almost a decade ago I participated in a Mohawk namin

Authentic Shamanism

I brought up the topic of “authentic Shamanism” at one of my classes / circles this week. I’ve noticed especially in the last three to four years that when people speak to me about Shamanism, they often make a distinction between what they are doing and what “is out there.”  These days if you are not into Ayahuasca you are not authentically into Shamanism.  So what is “Shamanism” if it changes its appearance every decade?  Is it about altered states of consciousness through hallucinogens? Is it about ceremonies and rituals; or about soul retrieval, dreaming and healing?  Since Shamanism isn’t a Religion and doesn’t have set doctrines, then how can you anyone be clear on what makes it “authentic?” When I brought up the question this week, I received a few interesting comments.   Many of the individuals in our circles have struggled with addictions and it’s because of the Medicine Wheel teachings that their lives are full and healthy again.   The idea of defining Shamanism as a j

The Seven Clans

Wow! I can’t believe that in the last three years, I haven’t written a single blog on the topic of “the seven clans” of the Medicine Wheel. For the last two months our Montreal circle has been exploring the subject. I think it’s the first time in fifteen years that I ask my students to go out into the World and experience the clans first hand. “Look at people and see which clan they can belong to; or look at behaviors and attitudes and try to connect them to one of the Clans.” We often speak of the clans as the seven faces of Creator. In Christianity or Judaism God can be angry, impatient, judgmental and destructive; but he can also be merciful, compassionate, forgiving and loving. The Medicine Wheel may not personalize Creator in the same way many Religions do, yet in many ways it accomplishes the same end result where we can see ourselves as children of divinity. Often in non-traditional circles the seven clans are understood as archetypes. Each clan holds particular att