Skip to main content

Death


I recently went to a fund raiser for the Centaur Theater in Montreal and the key not lecturer was Marc Garneau a famous Canadian Astronaut. During the evening Mr. Garneau shared how it felt to prepare for a trip into space. I noticed that lots of what he shared wasn’t foreign to me even though I’ve never traveled to the moon (yet that may be debatable). Ironically lots of what he said resembled my story with chronic illness. I think there is more than one way to reflect on life and one’s mortality. Whenever we’re asked to face the unknown and surpass our fears we touch a part of our self that is God like. Whether we wait impatiently to be called to board a rocket ship or we wait impatiently to be called to take a 2 hour nuclear scan I think that for some of us the experience moves us to see more than the ego, the fears, the panic and to touch the mystery of life.

I often tell people that what I find is lacking in our society is the knowledge and wisdom to prepare for death. It’s not something that we can do during a crisis or on the spur of a moment. It’s a process that starts from the day we are born. We should consider death with every passing day, or every inhale and exhale. Lots of people think that this idea is macabre and depressing when in truth those are the reactions we get when we are not prepared or used to the topic. Marc Garneau told us through his talk about a tradition that every astronaut goes through before a trip into space. A week before the journey, they are given access to a house on a beach where they can connect to their families or loved ones. During this time they put their papers in order, share memories, talk about subjects they’ve been avoiding, bring resolution to old conflicts etc… Then, on the last night they are given what is called “a last supper.”

I wondered during the evening if there was a difference between the last supper of an inmate on death row; the last supper for an astronaut; or the last supper of Jesus Christ? I liked the idea of expecting death and being ready for it. I liked the idea of leaving my loved ones with closure. I liked the idea of living death in mystery rather than in fear.

In the last 30 years of my life I’ve had my fair share of death. In the last 15 years I’ve helped many people in their final hour. Each time I’ve been touched by the beauty of death rather than the tragedy of it. There’s something that happens at the end that is like watching the Earth from space. It’s overwhelmingly beautiful and fills the soul like nothing else. 10 out 10 people that I’ve assisted have been greeted by their already deceased loved ones on the other side. You can see on their face the blue of the earth and the vastness of the galaxy. Suddenly life makes sense and so does death.

With guidance and support people who ready themselves for death feel in awe and safe at their final moment. They welcome and surrender to the death experience in the same way that they welcomed and surrendered to life. What is said and done in the last few months before death is always incredibly mysterious and phenomenal. It builds the process that brings us to die in peace. If we could only have more people who are experts in death and in this process to help us prepare – there would be less bitterness, unresolved, and fear towards this natural occurrence. Why not teach about death?


P.S. Picture of a Mayan Ruin (Costa Maya)

Comments

Unknown said…
Lisa you amaze me in your timing! Death is something I have been thinking about lately and to hear your words, I know that everything will be peachy when my time is here. I feel death is a part of divide order and we should not be afraid or angry, or too sad when someone we love decides to make it home again.. Thats the tough part..
Michelle said…
My husband told me I was morbid when i wanted to redo my will and I told him I do not want people to wonder what I wanted or if it was okay to give this to this person I laughed and told him it is hard enough for the ones we leave behind they are still attached to our memory grief and loss...I want to go with that peace my mom say's she wants a traditional irish wake singing danceing the whole nine yards "dont cry for me laugh be happy for my journey!" If we few death as another phase of somthing new it is not a scarey sad time it should be prepared for and celebrated!
Lisa F. Tardiff said…
WOW! I wasn't expecting so many comments so quickly. It's nice to read your thoughts on the topic. You all touch a different dimension of death that I believe is important to look at! Thank you everyone.

LISA
Wheelkeeper said…
It;s interesting, I am writing an article on THE END OF LIFE. It is the story of my 7 years with my parents in their last days on earth, in condensed form, of course. There is no way to describe all the ups and downs, the magic, mystery, fears and pain that occurred in that time. The best thing is that in the end, they went forward with faith, grace and courage! I was so proud of them! I can cry just to think of the beauty of this experience and how Lucky I was to be part of it. I am seriously considering making it a career, to help the dying. Even in the chronic care home, I was sitting and talking with others who were waiting to die. No one seemed to understand their needs and that was sad.

MaryRose
Unknown said…
what kind of job would help people die?? that sounds up my alley too.
Lisa F. Tardiff said…
There are many jobs that help people who are dying. There are social workers, nurses, priests, pastoral workers, volunteers in hospitals, family members, support group therapists, and more... Of course for some of us who are outside of the grid (society) so to speak it's not so much as a job as it is a vocation. JOBS get paid for their services. LOL

LISA

Popular posts from this blog

Drums and Rattles.

Lately I’ve received a few e-mails and letters from people asking questions about drums and rattles. I don’t think I’ve written a blog on this topic yet. JB wrote in his e-mail: “I often read that Drums are connected to Shamanism and often the tool of choice for Shamans. How do Shamans use drums differently than anyone else who’s in Shamanism?” I thought it was a great question. For starters, one of the reasons why a drum is an interesting tool in Shamanism is because it can mimic a heartbeat and induce a state of trance. A rapid heartbeat can trigger nervousness, excitement and even aggression. A very slow heartbeat can help in relaxation, sleep and dreaming. Every rhythm can inspire an emotion and can bring about the memory of a past experience or a parallel reality. In Shamanic circles the drum can be instrumental in healing, teaching, ceremony or ritual, expansion of consciousness as well as dreaming and journeying. Almost a decade ago I participated in a Mohawk namin

Authentic Shamanism

I brought up the topic of “authentic Shamanism” at one of my classes / circles this week. I’ve noticed especially in the last three to four years that when people speak to me about Shamanism, they often make a distinction between what they are doing and what “is out there.”  These days if you are not into Ayahuasca you are not authentically into Shamanism.  So what is “Shamanism” if it changes its appearance every decade?  Is it about altered states of consciousness through hallucinogens? Is it about ceremonies and rituals; or about soul retrieval, dreaming and healing?  Since Shamanism isn’t a Religion and doesn’t have set doctrines, then how can you anyone be clear on what makes it “authentic?” When I brought up the question this week, I received a few interesting comments.   Many of the individuals in our circles have struggled with addictions and it’s because of the Medicine Wheel teachings that their lives are full and healthy again.   The idea of defining Shamanism as a j

The Seven Clans

Wow! I can’t believe that in the last three years, I haven’t written a single blog on the topic of “the seven clans” of the Medicine Wheel. For the last two months our Montreal circle has been exploring the subject. I think it’s the first time in fifteen years that I ask my students to go out into the World and experience the clans first hand. “Look at people and see which clan they can belong to; or look at behaviors and attitudes and try to connect them to one of the Clans.” We often speak of the clans as the seven faces of Creator. In Christianity or Judaism God can be angry, impatient, judgmental and destructive; but he can also be merciful, compassionate, forgiving and loving. The Medicine Wheel may not personalize Creator in the same way many Religions do, yet in many ways it accomplishes the same end result where we can see ourselves as children of divinity. Often in non-traditional circles the seven clans are understood as archetypes. Each clan holds particular att