Skip to main content

Synchronicities Again.


I’ve talked about synchronicity before but since this is a topic that is directly related to a few passions of mine which are Indigenous Dreaming, Shamanism and the Way of the Sacred Circle – there’s no doubt this subject will be a repeat every now and again on my blog. For those of you who are impressed and fascinated with the topic I do recommend that you go check out Rob and Trish McGregor’s blog, 1111 Synchronicity. They are writing a book on the topic and they welcome your stories.

In my life synchronicity is related to Indigenous Dreaming, Shamanism, and the Way of the Sacred Circle. About 12 years ago, I sat down with a Passamaquody elder and Medicine Woman who said to me that synchronicity was the language of the gods. She admitted talking to Spirit, the Ancestors and Creator through the use of it. It certainly made sense to me that the Universe spoke to her with synchronicity but I did wonder how she was able to express herself in the same manner. Do we have any control over synchronicities? I wondered how we (humans) could synchronically speak to one another or to the world around us.

“The beauty about synchronicity,” she explained to me “is that it’s an unconscious, mysterious language that is based on the idea that we find behind animism. If we come to believe that all things have spirit than we come to understand that all things carry stories and that these stories are constantly in movement.”

EC believed that synchronicity was possible through the journey that medicine (power) takes when it embodies objects, trees, animals, people etc… She talked about her own First Nation Language. She said that in comparison to English or French -- Aboriginal words depend solely on the experience of the people who are attempting to express themselves. For example did you know there were 250 words to speak about snow in the Inuit language. The texture of the flakes, how they fall and whether or not they remain makes a different in the way that you speak of them. It’s believed by most indigenous people that we give power and momentum to the words that we use when speaking them if we are conscious of the experience we are sharing. Today, people are rarely present to what they are communicating and so more often than not “our” words are empty of power (medicine). This is why we are not surrounded by synchronicities as much as we could be.

EC managed to convince me that by walking a sacred walk we change everything about ourselves and begin to have sacred manners, sacred relationships, sacred wants and needs, sacred words… If we express sacredness which means “give it momentum” eventually it will boomerang back to us. Isn’t that what synchronicity is about: “Noticing that there’s common ground between us and all things in our environment at the most unexpected time.”

I often receive the comment that what I write on my blog is incredibly synchronic in according to people’s questions or people’s life. Some have even said: “Are you psychic?”

The answer to that is “no!” I’m not psychic but I am someone who believes in EC’s words and tries to put them into practice. I’ve found that if I spend time being present to what I live, feel, think, and express that often I can send “out” synchronicities. It’s as if I’m in communication with everything around me. It seems that for as long as it lasts I’m in sync literally with everyone and everything. Of course, for moments to become days, weeks and months it would take lots of work, discipline and consistent choices and living. A two way conversation with the Universe seems to demand a completely different perspective than what we are used to in the 21st century.


P.S. In my last blog entry I spoke of a stray dog that we were able to get adopted (photo above). It seemed that life brought S to us at the right time because everything fell into place for him and for the people who received him in their home. Synchronicity at its best. There are so many great synchronicity stories out there... showing that life is power in movement. Thank you for sharing with me and inspiring us all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drums and Rattles.

Lately I’ve received a few e-mails and letters from people asking questions about drums and rattles. I don’t think I’ve written a blog on this topic yet. JB wrote in his e-mail: “I often read that Drums are connected to Shamanism and often the tool of choice for Shamans. How do Shamans use drums differently than anyone else who’s in Shamanism?” I thought it was a great question. For starters, one of the reasons why a drum is an interesting tool in Shamanism is because it can mimic a heartbeat and induce a state of trance. A rapid heartbeat can trigger nervousness, excitement and even aggression. A very slow heartbeat can help in relaxation, sleep and dreaming. Every rhythm can inspire an emotion and can bring about the memory of a past experience or a parallel reality. In Shamanic circles the drum can be instrumental in healing, teaching, ceremony or ritual, expansion of consciousness as well as dreaming and journeying. Almost a decade ago I participated in a Mohawk namin

Authentic Shamanism

I brought up the topic of “authentic Shamanism” at one of my classes / circles this week. I’ve noticed especially in the last three to four years that when people speak to me about Shamanism, they often make a distinction between what they are doing and what “is out there.”  These days if you are not into Ayahuasca you are not authentically into Shamanism.  So what is “Shamanism” if it changes its appearance every decade?  Is it about altered states of consciousness through hallucinogens? Is it about ceremonies and rituals; or about soul retrieval, dreaming and healing?  Since Shamanism isn’t a Religion and doesn’t have set doctrines, then how can you anyone be clear on what makes it “authentic?” When I brought up the question this week, I received a few interesting comments.   Many of the individuals in our circles have struggled with addictions and it’s because of the Medicine Wheel teachings that their lives are full and healthy again.   The idea of defining Shamanism as a j
Shadow  Emma Vanstone writes on her blog page where she shows you how to make and play with shadows that shadows are formed when light hits an object it cannot travel through . I don’t discuss the concept of “shadow” very often.  Actually I don’t think I have ever written about it.  Honestly, I tend to be a happy-go-lucky person who keeps her eye on the positive rather than the negative.  Light definitely moves through me mainly because I choose for it to move through me.  I’m a solution-driven person who looks at challenges and crisis as an opportunity to work at letting light move through me. I guess you could say “I believe in heroes and super powers”.   Looking back at the last few years and the events of 2023, I have to admit that the world is struggling with shadows.  They surround us globally but also at smaller levels like within our communities, our families, our couple relationships and even within ourselves, within our  personal dimension.  It seems like we are being called