Skip to main content

Happy New Year 2010


I’ve been stewing with this blog entry for a few days. The Blue Moon of 2009 certainly left many of us with profound impressions and mine are still all tangled up waiting to be expressed. Don’t hold it against me if it takes a few weeks maybe even months to share it all. Like I was telling a friend tonight “it feels like we’ve been under a spell and it is slowly lifting.” Again I don’t want to get too ahead of myself because the Blue Moon influence won’t stop until after the next full moon which is at the end of January. At that point we’ll be starting a new moon cycle, with the Moon of Welcome. Where many of us have been talking about the next cycle being identical to the Western calendar I have to correct the mistake by saying that we’ll be off by one moon. In fact the Moon of Welcome will be in February rather than January. With the Blue Moon of 2009 we’ve actually been robbed of five moons (so to speak) having one cycle interrupted to start a new cycle. Lots of you have been asking the question: “How does this affect us?” I can venture a few theories but I think that our experience in the next year will be the true witness to the KISS of the BLUE MOON of 2009.

For those who have no idea what I’m talking about – I think it’s best to say: “we’re moving into a new life cycle and there so much out there that has an impact on us, on a daily basis.” Learning about Sacred Circle Tradition helped me open my eyes to what Aboriginal People call “mystery.” It help me shift perspective when it was time to shift perspective and helped me have another perspective to shift into… More often than not the problem people have when they are stuck in crisis or in conflict is that they don’t know how else to see the situation. We’re so programmed in our society, rigid with judgments and boxed into perceptions that we don’t see that most of our answers are in the unknown, in the world of mystery. Shamanism at least from my experience taught me to let go, surrender. It taught me to believe in my instincts and in my own story. It showed me that there were other ways to reach my goals than through Western methods. Once it worked for me and beyond my expectations there was no stopping me from sharing it with others.

Right here and right now today, I want to say THANK YOU. Thank you to everyone who has been reading my blog since it started in 2009. Thank you to everyone who suggested that I write a blog; who suggested that I write dozens of books in the past to decades; and thank you to everyone who supported me through over a 1000 dream time charts. Thank you to all of you who asked for me to write articles for newspapers, newsletters, magazines, and blogs etc…. Writing was once a childhood dream and after 40 years it has becoming a dream come true quite literally. So thank you.

In the last 20 years I’ve been lucky enough to lecture in Shamanic Conferences, in Universities and High Schools. I remember starting my career (so to speak) in elementary schools and watching little boys and girls dance around our mother drum with their hearts open to the stories of Gloosecap and the songs of the Little People. Whether “we” helped people with visions or dreams; mundane issues and questions; or community building – what seemed most important to me through the years was the way we gathered together on the path and consciously or unconsciously committed to be sacred and to teach sacredness to our children and grand-children.

This blog is often a struggle because it demands time and it demands that I sit down and put on paper what I often would prefer leaving to the wind. I see the need for such a blog and I do promise to commit to it for 2010. I hope that you will continue to suggest topics and continue to ask questions. Your participation is extremely motivating and empowering. Wolikon (thank you)

In November 2009 my daughter did an essay on “the value of blogging” and she wrote that where for most bloggers it is important to be popular and to “shout their life to the world” she could see through “my blog” (her mother’s blog) that there is value to the whole concept as long as it is done with the intention to connect at some profound and sacred level. Like I told her “she speaks of an attitude that isn’t only about blogging but is about anything and everything we do in shamanic circles.” If we could just apply the attitude especially when we share our stories – we may just feel more empowered and more connected to each other. I would certainly like for 2010 to be about empowerment and about deep connection.

The Blue Moon certainly left me with the first impression of empowerment and profound inter-relationships. Everything about the month of December repeated these themes in my life and this is why they are giving movement to my 2010. I’ll definitely try to share one story a month on these topics to keep you remembering the touch of the Blue Moon and to keep you working towards the next one in 2012.

Sleep tight everyone.

Sweet dreams.

P.S. Thank you KT for the picture.

Comments

Michelle said…
Looking forward in anticipation
for 2010 and ....to the Rattling the Bones Blog site...You need to know that there have been so many of your blogs that have just fit into what I was needing that day or a theme I had questions about...It has helped me pay attention to what is available all around us. Wolikon and Happy New 2010 to you!
Lili said…
Hi Lisa,
I HAD to share that my offering to the Blue Moon this year was a Kiss. I know that may sound daft to some but it was the right offering to me at the right time. When i read your words i thought WOW...my kiss is in there. It wasn't a stupid idea, even though to me it never was, i was not sure how others may perceive it.
Lili
Lisa F. Tardiff said…
Michelle and Lulu,

Thank you for your comments. It's good feedback for another year of "blogging." I wasn't sure if I wanted to commit another year but it seemed to make sense... It's when you all give me great comments that it all boils down to "I'm Glad TO BE HERE".

LISA

Popular posts from this blog

Drums and Rattles.

Lately I’ve received a few e-mails and letters from people asking questions about drums and rattles. I don’t think I’ve written a blog on this topic yet. JB wrote in his e-mail: “I often read that Drums are connected to Shamanism and often the tool of choice for Shamans. How do Shamans use drums differently than anyone else who’s in Shamanism?” I thought it was a great question. For starters, one of the reasons why a drum is an interesting tool in Shamanism is because it can mimic a heartbeat and induce a state of trance. A rapid heartbeat can trigger nervousness, excitement and even aggression. A very slow heartbeat can help in relaxation, sleep and dreaming. Every rhythm can inspire an emotion and can bring about the memory of a past experience or a parallel reality. In Shamanic circles the drum can be instrumental in healing, teaching, ceremony or ritual, expansion of consciousness as well as dreaming and journeying. Almost a decade ago I participated in a Mohawk namin

Authentic Shamanism

I brought up the topic of “authentic Shamanism” at one of my classes / circles this week. I’ve noticed especially in the last three to four years that when people speak to me about Shamanism, they often make a distinction between what they are doing and what “is out there.”  These days if you are not into Ayahuasca you are not authentically into Shamanism.  So what is “Shamanism” if it changes its appearance every decade?  Is it about altered states of consciousness through hallucinogens? Is it about ceremonies and rituals; or about soul retrieval, dreaming and healing?  Since Shamanism isn’t a Religion and doesn’t have set doctrines, then how can you anyone be clear on what makes it “authentic?” When I brought up the question this week, I received a few interesting comments.   Many of the individuals in our circles have struggled with addictions and it’s because of the Medicine Wheel teachings that their lives are full and healthy again.   The idea of defining Shamanism as a j

The Seven Clans

Wow! I can’t believe that in the last three years, I haven’t written a single blog on the topic of “the seven clans” of the Medicine Wheel. For the last two months our Montreal circle has been exploring the subject. I think it’s the first time in fifteen years that I ask my students to go out into the World and experience the clans first hand. “Look at people and see which clan they can belong to; or look at behaviors and attitudes and try to connect them to one of the Clans.” We often speak of the clans as the seven faces of Creator. In Christianity or Judaism God can be angry, impatient, judgmental and destructive; but he can also be merciful, compassionate, forgiving and loving. The Medicine Wheel may not personalize Creator in the same way many Religions do, yet in many ways it accomplishes the same end result where we can see ourselves as children of divinity. Often in non-traditional circles the seven clans are understood as archetypes. Each clan holds particular att