Skip to main content

Wolikon

Reference: Wolikon means thank you in Malacete.

Gratitude has been a theme, so far for me, since the start of the Moon of self-value six days ago. I’m appreciative of Spring: The odors, the sounds, the sights, the flavors and the textures. Our lilac trees are blooming (see the picture). The violet color of the blossoms inspires me with sweetness and femininity. Its pleasant perfume and the way that its twigs spring up from the ground like members of a parish connected somehow by the divine is humbling. I’ve always imagined this tree as delicate and fickle because my mother always struggled to make them grow despite her love for them; but my own experience has revealed them as sturdy, resistant, and extremely adaptable. I somehow have no trouble cultivating lilacs all through our yard. They seem to appreciate my presence, my touch, and my song.

It’s not only the lilac tree that I admire this Spring. It’s also the pine, the cedar, the poplar, the weeping willow, the maple, the birch and the apple tree. I also love the violets, the tulips and the roses, which are appearing in the grass as well as the garden. I haven’t enjoyed Spring so much since childhood. Strangely enough in the last few months the beauty of the season has triggered memories where the past has becomes lucidly palpable and pleasurable. Synchronically old friends from the old neighborhood have re-appeared in our lives. Honestly, I’ve come to see that as a child my natural environment is what allowed me to step into my inner world and feel safe, strong and whole.

My mother often told us that we were city kids. She often stated it with contempt comparing her rural experience to our suburban life. She sent the message that there was something wrong with being from the city. Truthfully she was from the big city, Montreal and spent her summers at her uncle’s farm. I didn’t understand why she felt like she needed to separate her reality from ours and judge her experience as above and better than our own. Why didn’t she simply share with us the beauty of her own story and teach us how to find the beauty in our own? She was in my opinion inappropriately competitive, perhaps somewhat insecure and jealous. Nevertheless the way she spoke to us or inter-related with us had an incredible impact on our life. The label of city kids, which held the weight of her condescension, pushed us (my siblings and I) to eventually leave our childhood town to move to the country and as far away as we could to our parents.

Since the Full Moon last week my daily life has been repeating the message: “No matter how much we try to give to our children what we did not receive from our parents, little and simple, unconscious details which stem from the realm of the ancestors impact them more than we can ever imagine.”

When my son and daughter were babies I could see in them family mannerisms. I caught glances, which reminded me of my grand-father or facial expressions which were identical to aunts, grand-mothers and great-grand-mothers. I wondered as they were growing up if they would show more and more family traits. Along the way we distanced ourselves from our biological family and yet, still the children kept a metaphysical connection because they continued to show attitudes and behaviors, which stemmed from family members. They mimicked without even seeing. It was clear by the time they reached young adulthood that there was more than genetics involved in this phenomenon. It was then that my question brought me to explore and understand the concept of collective unconsciousness. It was Carl Jung who said that part of our unconscious mind connects humankind through ancestral experience. Like anything else there’s how we understand the concept intellectually and how we live it.

Shamanism is all about experience.

At our Moonlodge this past weekend we talked about self-value from a point of view of teacher and mother. How do we inspire others (our children) to empower themselves and to come together as a collective?

MS said: “Everyone loves to read your blog. People love to hear you talk. How do you get to a point where people value your story?”

I replied: “I believe in it.”

I explained that I don’t write or give lectures to convince people to believe in the same things that I believe in. I don’t give workshops because I want people to change nor do I want to heal anyone. I’ve always done what I do because it’s a calling and I believe in it. It’s always been about my journey and sharing it with others. If along the way I somehow inspire the people around me and we walk together side by side on this shamanic path, sharing each others stories, then that experience makes me happy.

There are too many moments in our lives where we worry, we cry, we hurt, we complain, we suffer, we feel alone etc… Why not create moments where we explore, we understand, we become aware, we forgive and look forward to new and adventurous experiences? When I make these statements people often nod but they often reply as well: “How do we manage to create such moments?”

It seems difficult for people to move out of their conditioning.

The collective unconscious reveals umbilical cords with every breath we take. It’s hard to believe sometimes; but we are truly empirically related to each other. At a lecture this weekend, I shared a mundane story about how I woke up Saturday morning and noticed while looking in the mirror that I had some dirt in the corner of my left eye. As I cleaned it out, unexpectedly images of the Bay of Fundy, the Pacific Ocean in Santa Monica and the sea of the Caribbean Islands came to mind. The waves brought stones, algae, and dead fish to the shore. Tears rolled down my cheeks and I tasted the salt. Once I returned to the task at hand, I understood without a shred of a doubt that the dream was telling me that my eyes were related to the ocean.

Where most people believe that dreaming delivers personal, psychological and subconscious messages, I’ve often experienced and demonstrated that dreaming also shows us profound, collective connections to nature, others and unknown realities which defeat the notion of time and conditioning.

“See this is what you are,” shows the dreaming “in comparison to what you imagine yourself to be.” If we don’t understand what our dreams are telling us it’s often because we are not looking towards what we have been weaving inside since the first moment we took a breath in this life. We are not created by society, community or family.

We are Creator's children.

We moved quite a bit in the last 20 years. At our first apartment (husband and I) there were lilac trees, which grew in the front yard and when we moved I took a few strands and planted them at our new place. Each time we moved from that point on, I would take a few strands of the lilac we cared for and renew it near our window at our new pad. After 11 apartments, we finally bought a house and yet again, I brought a strand of that same lilac tree, which followed us from the start. This tree represented the shell of the turtle – having a piece of home wherever we went. After five years in Greenfield Park we moved to a new house and I continued the tradition. The first thing we did before even unpacking a box was to plant the twigs of our lilac tree.

After 4 years, the lilac trees (3 of them) grew so much that they were almost as big as their original parent: Beautiful and healthy. Yet, that summer all three of the trees planted in different corners of the house became ill. They lost their leaves and seemed to be dying. I consulted experts, attempting to figure out what was wrong; but nobody could help. Then, one day as I was driving down the street where we first lived I noticed that the new owner of the building had cut down the lilac trees. I was outraged. I got out of the car and approached the man that was cleaning the yard. The tenant told me that the owner made the decision to cut the trees because he wanted to give more focus to the architectural structure. I shook my head in disbelief. When I returned home that day, I concluded that our lilac trees were grieving and that they felt quite intimately the death of their mother. For a few weeks I sang and talked to the trees; touching them and affirming to them every day that they were now the parents and that they needed to be strong for their children. Luckily they survived and this Spring above all other seasons they seem stronger and more aware than ever before.

There’s no doubt in my mind that we connect to others hypersensitively. There are countless umbilical cords, which stretch between us, nature and others. If we could see them we would see an intricate matrix of rainbow colored lines. In my world these connections imply learning, healing, growing, and mystery. They speak of contracts that we have towards one another and perhaps, in many cases they also show that we are tied to each other through unresolve, love and fate.

Today I feel grateful and blessed.

This month WOLIKON is the medicine word that will inspire my postings.

Tahau!

Comments

Anonymous said…
This statement really touched me and what I am living right now..."There are too many moments in our lives where we worry, we cry, we hurt, we complain, we suffer, we feel alone etc… Why not create moments where we explore, we understand, we become aware, we forgive and look forward to new and adventurous experiences?"
For me it made me think about how we tend to focus on the death of a situation rather then life. I am still in the experience of the situation that I am living but found this statement helpful. Thank you.

I loved the story of the Lilac...gave me shivers as I read it. Thank you for reminding me about the beauty in the life around me.

Serena
Michelle said…
I want to be in appreciation and gratitude of the life around me your thread helped spark a new outlook into everyday situations...I have a tree in my yard that needs some attention and I look forward to what else I can explore...Wolikon!
Unknown said…
I really related to your feeling of gratitude. At the onset of this moon of value, I drew an angel card and got ABUNDANCE! I wondered how this would manifest. Throughout the day, Saturday, it appeared as a sense of joy and gratitude for every little thing I saw, felt and experienced. I have been elated ever since...

I love the photo, the lilacs look like they are GLOWING! I had lilac bushes planted around my yard a few years ago and last year, I got my first few blooms! I am so excited to see more this year. We also had lilacs bushes as children. I love the smell.

Love,
MaryRose
Unknown said…
The tree in my front yard, planted by the city, is not doing so well though... I will try to sing to it this year to help it along... it has leaf curlers on it, they cause the leaved to shrivel up and look dead, but its not. I don't want to use chemicals... any suggestions on how I can help it??
Lisa F. Tardiff said…
Mary Rose,

I was going to ask you: "Do you know why the leaves are curling?" We have the same problem with a tree in our back yard. Last year an expert told us that it was because of "the fertilizer that was added to our lawn." This year we didn't use that fertilizer and the tree is still struggling. The leaves are curling.

If ever you know what's ailing your tree -- please share it with us. I'm interested.

LISA
MaryRose said…
The tree was planted by the city... I called them and a woman came and she said that it was due to Leaf-crawlers... she unraveled a leaf and there was a little worm in it... the roll up the leaves to"incubate"... she said they won't kill the tree but the leaves will shrivel up.... The trick is to spray it with soapy water early in the spring, after every rain...You can make your own or buy a soap-water mix at Canadian Tire.

Unfortunatley, the leaf crawlers are not the only problem... there are two other kinds of pest on the tree, not sure what the other ones are... maybe the soapy water will help...

We also had some kids break one of the larger branches last year...

This poor tree is really having a hard time. I haven't been giving it my energy, didn't really like it, its not a species that is indigenous to this part of the world, not one I would have planted, but I am trying to change my attitude and help it along.
Lisa F. Tardiff said…
Thank you for the information Mary Rose.
I'll check to see if my tree is struggling with the same kinds of pests.

I'll keep you posted.

LISA
Emily said…
Hi Lisa,

I really like what you said here -
'We are not created by society, community or family. We are Creator's children. '

We are not created by society/family we are conditioned by it.
Sometimes we forget..


WOLIKON
Lisa F. Tardiff said…
Great comment Emily.
Thank you.

LISA
Anonymous said…
Your lilac story reminds me of a story with my husband. A tree was dying in our yard and one day I came home from work and it was cut down I didn't know why but it bothered me. I wondered if I was too attached. This spring I came home from work and saw two dead or dying bushes in the firepit and one bush up turned in the garden. This bothered me again. After reading your story I see it is about the distinction between Dead and Dying. It is so easy to have the attitude that something sick or dying is ready to be disposed of. I talked to my husband about this distinction and it brought consciousness to the both of us.

Thank for the beautiful story!!

Dallal
Lisa F. Tardiff said…
Dallal,

There is definitely a distinction between dead and dying. I think you're right Dallal -- it's important to let the dying reach death before we get involved. We need to not cheat ourselves and other life forms of the Wheels we spin.

LISA

Popular posts from this blog

Drums and Rattles.

Lately I’ve received a few e-mails and letters from people asking questions about drums and rattles. I don’t think I’ve written a blog on this topic yet. JB wrote in his e-mail: “I often read that Drums are connected to Shamanism and often the tool of choice for Shamans. How do Shamans use drums differently than anyone else who’s in Shamanism?” I thought it was a great question. For starters, one of the reasons why a drum is an interesting tool in Shamanism is because it can mimic a heartbeat and induce a state of trance. A rapid heartbeat can trigger nervousness, excitement and even aggression. A very slow heartbeat can help in relaxation, sleep and dreaming. Every rhythm can inspire an emotion and can bring about the memory of a past experience or a parallel reality. In Shamanic circles the drum can be instrumental in healing, teaching, ceremony or ritual, expansion of consciousness as well as dreaming and journeying. Almost a decade ago I participated in a Mohawk namin

Authentic Shamanism

I brought up the topic of “authentic Shamanism” at one of my classes / circles this week. I’ve noticed especially in the last three to four years that when people speak to me about Shamanism, they often make a distinction between what they are doing and what “is out there.”  These days if you are not into Ayahuasca you are not authentically into Shamanism.  So what is “Shamanism” if it changes its appearance every decade?  Is it about altered states of consciousness through hallucinogens? Is it about ceremonies and rituals; or about soul retrieval, dreaming and healing?  Since Shamanism isn’t a Religion and doesn’t have set doctrines, then how can you anyone be clear on what makes it “authentic?” When I brought up the question this week, I received a few interesting comments.   Many of the individuals in our circles have struggled with addictions and it’s because of the Medicine Wheel teachings that their lives are full and healthy again.   The idea of defining Shamanism as a j

The Seven Clans

Wow! I can’t believe that in the last three years, I haven’t written a single blog on the topic of “the seven clans” of the Medicine Wheel. For the last two months our Montreal circle has been exploring the subject. I think it’s the first time in fifteen years that I ask my students to go out into the World and experience the clans first hand. “Look at people and see which clan they can belong to; or look at behaviors and attitudes and try to connect them to one of the Clans.” We often speak of the clans as the seven faces of Creator. In Christianity or Judaism God can be angry, impatient, judgmental and destructive; but he can also be merciful, compassionate, forgiving and loving. The Medicine Wheel may not personalize Creator in the same way many Religions do, yet in many ways it accomplishes the same end result where we can see ourselves as children of divinity. Often in non-traditional circles the seven clans are understood as archetypes. Each clan holds particular att