Skip to main content

Demons and Darkness.


From BOOT'N LEPAGE: I'd like to learn more about Shadow and Demons. My husband and I have always been interested in the "Dangers" of Dreaming and Shamanism. What trouble can we get ourselves into by being unconscious?

On our Facebook group, Medicine Wheel and Indigenous Dreaming a few members brought up interesting questions relating to darkness, and danger in dreams.  I especially enjoyed KL’s question because it was very specific and communicated realities we often hear about like demons and consequences in the dreaming.

So I started a discussion and asked: What do you like about Shadow and Demons? I think we all seem attracted to the "dark" -- why? And what do you think are some of the consequences to being unconscious?

Since my response started to get a bit long on Facebook, I decided to make it a blog entry. 

I know for a fact that lots of children struggle with a fear of darkness. I personally didn’t and neither did my children; although their source of pleasure with darkness is most definitely very different to my own.  When both my children were born I was heavily involved in my dreamer’s initiation.  At the time, I learnt a lot about the importance of certain sleeping patterns and how they are instrumental to lucid dreams.  It made sense to me to cultivate good dreaming and sleeping attitudes with my newborn babies.  So, I made sure from the start to bathe their bedrooms in darkness every time they slept.  ‘Til this day both CT and KT need total darkness to appreciate a good night’s sleep.  Both will admit that darkness for them is about comfort, safety and nourishment not unlike being in their mother’s womb.

I’ve noticed with many children who are exposed to “fighting in the family” hiding away in a dark room or under a bed or even in a closet is a common occurrence.  With toddlers or young children shame; fear; or humiliation often inspires flight.  It’s interesting how it’s almost natural or instinctual to hide when you’re trying to get away from a fearful situation.  Both children and animals are good at disappearing when they feel threatened.

 I’ve often watched Ravens purposely perch in shadow in order to remain unnoticed, the same way I’ve seen human hunters hide in dark barracks while waiting for caribou.   No doubt he best hunters and warriors understand the value of shadow.

I know that the New Age movement has made of the word "shadow" something negative; but in fact from a "survivor" or shamanic point of view shadow is power / medicine.  Of course like anything else in life it all depends on how we work with the concept of darkness; or what lies behind shadow.  A good thief, rapist or assailant will also know how to take advantage of shadow when it comes to setting a mark and attacking.

I believe that consciousness is absolutely crucial to anything and everything we do.  The more we know, the better we are.

I've seen lots of parents attempt to convince their children that "demons are a figment of their imagination".   How many times have you heard an adult tell a child especially after a nightmare: “Don’t worry honey none of it is real?”

Yet, if you are one of those individuals who came across demons as a child -- you know how real they actually are.  CB mentions in his posting, in the discussion on Facebook the FEAR and how tangible it can be in dreams.  In many of the courses I've given on "dreaming and children" I've always said to caregivers to guide children in "developing courage and self-assurance" in waking and sleeping dreams.  It does no good to try to convince anyone that what they are experiencing is "imagined."  Children especially want to be heard and trusted (believed in).  

For centuries the Christian church not only believed in demons; but knew how to banish them.  In the New Testament Jesus often speaks of demons.  He refers to them as very real entities.   What we learn from the Bible is that demons are connected to the experience of deep physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual suffering. 

Demons are not as common as some people will have you believe.  In other words it doesn’t mean that because you are struggling with chronic illness for example or even mental illness that you are plagued by a demon.  Since our society no longer believes in demons the word is often used to refer to “skeletons in the closet”.  Secrets and unresolved issues for example are now referred to as demons:  Monsters we constantly feed with our denial and resistance.

In pagan traditions demons are often referred to as “creatures from the Earth” who are both attracted and nourished by human suffering or human darkness.  People seeking to protect themselves against demons have often approached me; looking for quick spells and potions to keep these beasties away.  In some traditions, demons are repelled by holy water; salt and even fire.  Personally, I don’t recommend a quick fix.  I have found the best way to keep yourself safe from a wide variety of monsters is by learning to find comfort, forgiveness, warmth and love in your personal dark nooks. 

Of course that means work:  Time and energy; courage and humility; and of course an open mind, open heart and ready soul. 

I’d love to continue this discussion by inviting many of you to share some of your stories of shamanic dangers and demons.  I’ve no doubt I’ve barely touched KL’s question.  Yet, the way I see it – every exploration comes with a dedication of perseverance and patience. 

Comments

MaryRose said…
I have found the best way to keep yourself safe from a wide variety of monsters is by learning to find comfort, forgiveness, warmth and love in your personal dark nooks.

Of course that means work: Time and energy; courage and humility; and of course an open mind, open heart and ready soul.

These words spoke to me Lisa. Thanks for this blog.

MaryRose said…
I reread this blog and have questions...

My experience with demons is limited... and I must admit, I am ignorant and somewhat judgemental and afraid of them. I would like to know what do we do when we encounter them in another human being?

I once saw a demon in the eyes of a young man who had been drinking. I swear that his eyes turned red just like you see on TV. He was a nice kid. I wonder if he had this demon in him all the time or just when drinking. I wonder if he still has it today? He was married and a successful business man the last I heard.

We had a tenent who had a demon in him and I admit that I freaked out when I found out about it. He was someone who meditated and seemed to be able contain the difficult energy in him, but he always ended up causing unresolve and conflict in his life.

He endured severe abuse as a child and as an adult he suffered with this "affliction". I saw his body shaking and jerking when he meditated. Yet when he was offered a chance to let go of the demon, he declined.

How do we help people who have demons? How do we recognize demons? Does the church still exorcise them? How harmful or useful are Demons?
Michelle said…
I love the exploration of our dreams as a family. My children have had many dreams of demons scarey things coming to get them we talk about them over. Breakfast often. Just last night my daughter BC dreamt of two insideous type demons. BC dream she said she was really scared she was getting her big brother and sister and her dad to help fight the demons. She said in the dream she was trying to ask other people but they wouldnt come help her. She hugged her brother and sister and she said she got the idea to hug the demon. And she tells us there was this bright light shining in her and she hugged the demon and he turned into an old man. He had white hair it was braided he told her she freed him. He told her he would see her next time you still have one more And pointed to the other demon. Bc was proud of herself today and we celebrated her bravery in the dreaming. My husband also cautioned her about being aware that sometimes Demons will pretend or trick you . For her as a 9 year old she is learning about what's working for her in the dreaming but I think by us believing in her it helps. I think the dreaming tests our readiness to see or experience certain things. I think it's really important once your conscious to not pretend to be unconscious in the dreaming. We have told our children not to be weak when they dream of scarey things to trust themselves. It's such a different view from my childhood or my husbands where our parents said its only a dream imagination. I see the change in our perspective is helping our children to grow strong and more secure in who they are.
I really love this topic it's brought lots of questions for me. I like scarey movies but my husband doesnt I like that scared feeling I get. We have argued at times about watching movies. He feels that it can bridge a connection to that darkness. I can see that from his dreaming and work he's done in the past he definitely has a different perspective on demons darkness.
I like learning about others experiences and hearing stories.
Thanks Lisa

Popular posts from this blog

Drums and Rattles.

Lately I’ve received a few e-mails and letters from people asking questions about drums and rattles. I don’t think I’ve written a blog on this topic yet. JB wrote in his e-mail: “I often read that Drums are connected to Shamanism and often the tool of choice for Shamans. How do Shamans use drums differently than anyone else who’s in Shamanism?” I thought it was a great question. For starters, one of the reasons why a drum is an interesting tool in Shamanism is because it can mimic a heartbeat and induce a state of trance. A rapid heartbeat can trigger nervousness, excitement and even aggression. A very slow heartbeat can help in relaxation, sleep and dreaming. Every rhythm can inspire an emotion and can bring about the memory of a past experience or a parallel reality. In Shamanic circles the drum can be instrumental in healing, teaching, ceremony or ritual, expansion of consciousness as well as dreaming and journeying. Almost a decade ago I participated in a Mohawk namin

Authentic Shamanism

I brought up the topic of “authentic Shamanism” at one of my classes / circles this week. I’ve noticed especially in the last three to four years that when people speak to me about Shamanism, they often make a distinction between what they are doing and what “is out there.”  These days if you are not into Ayahuasca you are not authentically into Shamanism.  So what is “Shamanism” if it changes its appearance every decade?  Is it about altered states of consciousness through hallucinogens? Is it about ceremonies and rituals; or about soul retrieval, dreaming and healing?  Since Shamanism isn’t a Religion and doesn’t have set doctrines, then how can you anyone be clear on what makes it “authentic?” When I brought up the question this week, I received a few interesting comments.   Many of the individuals in our circles have struggled with addictions and it’s because of the Medicine Wheel teachings that their lives are full and healthy again.   The idea of defining Shamanism as a j

The Seven Clans

Wow! I can’t believe that in the last three years, I haven’t written a single blog on the topic of “the seven clans” of the Medicine Wheel. For the last two months our Montreal circle has been exploring the subject. I think it’s the first time in fifteen years that I ask my students to go out into the World and experience the clans first hand. “Look at people and see which clan they can belong to; or look at behaviors and attitudes and try to connect them to one of the Clans.” We often speak of the clans as the seven faces of Creator. In Christianity or Judaism God can be angry, impatient, judgmental and destructive; but he can also be merciful, compassionate, forgiving and loving. The Medicine Wheel may not personalize Creator in the same way many Religions do, yet in many ways it accomplishes the same end result where we can see ourselves as children of divinity. Often in non-traditional circles the seven clans are understood as archetypes. Each clan holds particular att