Skip to main content

Collective Consciousness and Collective Dreaming.


In the ‘90’s the trend of telling our children “not to talk to strangers” had just started.  My husband and I actually questioned it for years before cautioning our kids and even then, it was always with a big story attached and a reminder that we weren’t born on this planet just to hide in a hole. 

“Keep your wits about yourself,” we’d say, “and listen to the dreaming, listen to your gut.”

 At our house, we have often had these kinds of conversations.  The kind that starts with “wait a minute” and “is it absolutely necessary.”  With time you notice things change, and the factors are never the same.   We don’t live in my parents’ world anymore where families lived in the neighbourhood for generations and it was OK to treat the neighbour’s kids as your own.  Today, most people move every 3 to 5 years and you never know if the nice man next door won’t be the kind to make a move on your daughter after she’s babysat his kids all night.  Where my parents taught us their ways and their grand-parent’s ways, my husband and I now stop and sigh – knowing that time moves too fast now and nothing about the way we used to do it still applies.

Where am I going with this?

Well, recently I was asked to speak about the dreaming ways of our ancestors and share some stories on how Traditional Dreamers used to dream for the community and for others. 

CONSTRUCTING REALITY

From my perspective before we can even speak of “communal dreaming” we need to consider how people construct reality.  A Traditional Dreamer doesn’t just “pick up on community dreams” – he or she has to be part of the community and connect deeply to the simple structures of behaviour, emotion, thoughts and beliefs.

I was educated at a Catholic convent and for years I jotted down dreams people shared with me connecting with Christian imagery.  It fascinated me that people could dream of the Eucharist for example, or being a witness to a crucifixion.  I never dreamt of such things and a part of me felt cheated.  Since I was brought up in Christianity, I assumed such dreams implied being “chosen by God.”  They were in my opinion at the time: Holy Dreams. 

It was only after I reached my early 20’s and started learning about traditional dreaming that I realized these dreams spoke of personal interests and a deep sense of commitment to the Christian ideology.  If I didn’t dream these kinds of dreams it was because I didn’t belong to the collective frame of thought. 

Just the way I went about exploring these dreams and attempting to understand them showed more of a shamanic perspective.  It explained many of the kind of dreams I had from birth.   For example, even before knowing what a Sweat Lodge was – I had dreamt of it a few dozen times. 

As I’ve said repeatedly through my blog entries dreaming isn’t just about the images and scenarios we come across while sleeping.  It’s about the way we think, the way we feel, the way we behave and the way we present ourselves to the World.  Bellow the surface it is about blood, genes, and cells.   In many ways I define dreaming as the “communication we have with the Life within us and around us.”

COLLECTIVE CONSCIOUSNESS

There’s no doubt that dreaming translates to us how we relate to the World around us.  It basically awakens this notion of “collective consciousness.”  Through my blog entries I have often explored hypersensitivity.  As described countless times – hypersensitivity is basically a “hyper-sense of our environment.”  Example, I once met a woman who bought a whole wardrobe based on what she hyper sensitively picked up from another woman she was shopping with.  When she came home and looked at the clothes she disliked every single piece.  None of it spoke to her.  It was as if she had picked up someone else’s bag. 

We see the same kind of phenomenon amongst children between the age of 7 and 15 years old.  You sometimes get the impression your kids are possessed by their friends.  They speak similarly and even adopt the same maneurism.  I had to continuously remind my children that I loved them the way they were and that they didn’t need to imitate others.  As soon as they discovered compatibility, or took notice of an attraction to certain behaviours or certain people – they let go.  I always managed to get them back (so to speak) in their natural, original forms J.

Understanding hypersensitivity and learning to be disciplined with it has an impact on the way we dream.  Rather then finding ourselves magnetized to all kinds of strange dream spaces, we wake up in dreams; and participate in them.  We contribute to “our fate.” 

The notion of collective consciousness isn’t so much about hyper sensing as it is about hyper knowing.   Yet before we can move to hyper knowing it is crucial to have knowledge and know how when it comes to hyper sensing.  I always tell my students that even though hypersensitivity may seem like a curse at first, it is incredibly important to remember that in ancestral times it was instrumental in survival.  Hunters for example often allowed their hyper sensing to bring them exactly to herds of caribou.  Sensing, dreaming the exact place or site as well as waking up with a clear knowing of where it was made a difference between life and death.

Today dreaming hasn’t changed. 

What has changed in our social conduct.  We still construct our reality in very much the same way as our ancestors; but it now takes new forms. 

COLLECTIVE DREAMING

A few years ago I moved to a new city.  Previously, I was used to a more rural setting with a few acres of land dividing homes.  For eight years I dreamt the land we lived on and was used to dreaming about raccoons, skunks and deers.  As soon as I found myself in a suburban area where people enjoy barely 8,000 square feet of land – I began to dream about people and their culture.  Suddenly, I was dreaming of people from India, Japan, Africa and Europe.  After a summer of observing the activity in my neighbourhood I was able to place each dream on a grid.

·      Two house down from ours:  An Indian family.
·      Right behind us: A Japanese family.
·      Four houses down from ours: African couple
·      And three houses on the right of us: A Scandinavian family.

We dream what surrounds us.  Sometimes it’s about details we’ve intentionally noticed; but other times it’s subconscious or even intuitive.  Through collective dreaming we become aware of how many layers of consciousness we’ve picked up on in one scenario.  For example I once visited a friend in the Hospital.  She was being investigated for colon cancer.  The doctor had found a tumour on her intestinal wall.  It was surgically removed. 

According to all medical personnel my friend had cancer.  There was no doubts about it.

When I arrived on the scene a therapist was discussing with my friend, some of her options concerning “cancer.”  Our visit was short and uneventful.  Yet my dreams the following night seemed to be saying otherwise.  According to these dreams, not only was she being misdiagnosed; but the whole story was somewhat attached to her father and his colon cancer.  Once I shared the dream my friend asked for a second opinion and discovered she did not have cancer at all.  In the following days after questioning her parents she also uncovered that her father struggled with cancer for years without sharing it with anyone.  This collective dreaming triggered a number of outcomes.  For starters, she renew relationships with family members, healed some ancestral issues / stories, and took care of herself better.   

I have a long list of examples of collective dreaming.  It seems that as soon as you connect collectively with people and under a wide umbrella of ideas, emotions, and behaviours you also begin to dream about them.  The wider the umbrella (so to speak) the more potential of dreaming consciousness.

ANCESTRY.

For our ancestors dreaming wasn't so much a luxury or fascination as it was about survival.  If you could dream about herds of elk, caribou or deer and lead scouts to them you were an incredible asset.  Traditional dreamers also helped in understanding the roots of certain ailments and even find the plants to heal them.  Everything dreams:  Animals, people, plants, rivers, mountains etc....  If you can dream the environment you can communicate to its different parts and bring back the most incredible sacred knowledge. 

Learning to develop, practice and discipline the skill of dreaming is a life long journey.  
One that literally gave meaning to my life!
Hau!

********
P.S.  Looking forward to your feedback and questions. 

Comments

Unknown said…
Miigwetch, Lisa for doing this particular subject for your blog. I would've like to see a little more on the historical aspect of dreaming for the community but other than that very informative.
Lisa F. Tardiff said…
I couldn't get permission for the historical information. It can be shared orally only. We could chat at some point in the future.
Unknown said…
I look forward to chatting about that in the very near future, I hope! :)
MaryRose said…
This is very helpful Lisa, I have to sit with it awhile, but just having moved to a new home, it helps to look at what I am living and dreaming with the former tenants and neighbours so far.

Popular posts from this blog

Drums and Rattles.

Lately I’ve received a few e-mails and letters from people asking questions about drums and rattles. I don’t think I’ve written a blog on this topic yet. JB wrote in his e-mail: “I often read that Drums are connected to Shamanism and often the tool of choice for Shamans. How do Shamans use drums differently than anyone else who’s in Shamanism?” I thought it was a great question. For starters, one of the reasons why a drum is an interesting tool in Shamanism is because it can mimic a heartbeat and induce a state of trance. A rapid heartbeat can trigger nervousness, excitement and even aggression. A very slow heartbeat can help in relaxation, sleep and dreaming. Every rhythm can inspire an emotion and can bring about the memory of a past experience or a parallel reality. In Shamanic circles the drum can be instrumental in healing, teaching, ceremony or ritual, expansion of consciousness as well as dreaming and journeying. Almost a decade ago I participated in a Mohawk namin

Authentic Shamanism

I brought up the topic of “authentic Shamanism” at one of my classes / circles this week. I’ve noticed especially in the last three to four years that when people speak to me about Shamanism, they often make a distinction between what they are doing and what “is out there.”  These days if you are not into Ayahuasca you are not authentically into Shamanism.  So what is “Shamanism” if it changes its appearance every decade?  Is it about altered states of consciousness through hallucinogens? Is it about ceremonies and rituals; or about soul retrieval, dreaming and healing?  Since Shamanism isn’t a Religion and doesn’t have set doctrines, then how can you anyone be clear on what makes it “authentic?” When I brought up the question this week, I received a few interesting comments.   Many of the individuals in our circles have struggled with addictions and it’s because of the Medicine Wheel teachings that their lives are full and healthy again.   The idea of defining Shamanism as a j
Shadow  Emma Vanstone writes on her blog page where she shows you how to make and play with shadows that shadows are formed when light hits an object it cannot travel through . I don’t discuss the concept of “shadow” very often.  Actually I don’t think I have ever written about it.  Honestly, I tend to be a happy-go-lucky person who keeps her eye on the positive rather than the negative.  Light definitely moves through me mainly because I choose for it to move through me.  I’m a solution-driven person who looks at challenges and crisis as an opportunity to work at letting light move through me. I guess you could say “I believe in heroes and super powers”.   Looking back at the last few years and the events of 2023, I have to admit that the world is struggling with shadows.  They surround us globally but also at smaller levels like within our communities, our families, our couple relationships and even within ourselves, within our  personal dimension.  It seems like we are being called