Skip to main content

Phone Home.

Montreal is buzzing with people (tourists, local residents and students) especially three weeks before Christmas and at rush hour.  While in the big city today I couldn’t help but notice how countless people were fiddling with their phones even while crossing the street.   Ironically, it was an unusual phenomenon for me.  It seems not too long ago, our parents used to tell us to stay off the phone because it was meant specifically for emergency purposes.   I remember being 19 years old.  ET (my husband but boyfriend at the time) and I used to talk for hours on the phone until his father couldn’t get through and get a ride home from the airport.  We were consequently lectured: “Nobody needs to say that much to each other.”  I guess my father-in-law along with most people of his generation didn’t predict today’s major technological shift into cell phones.

At a red light side by side to a city bus I couldn’t help but peek at the passengers and count an overwhelming number of them busy on their phones.  It may sound strange; but for an instant I was nostalgic missing those days where I could cross someone’s glance and for a moment envision his or her whole story.   Honestly even before the arrival of the cell phone Western society was focused on individualism; which meant we were very absorbed in our personal story and missed obvious details around us.  Now, with a phone continuously at our disposal, individuals are constantly distracted and engrossed in anything but the present company or present event.  Like MR was saying yesterday when we discussed the topic: “It literally feels like people or popping in and out of places or situations because their presence is frequently displaced.”

Finally, in a doctor’s waiting room where I spent two hours of my afternoon I watched every single patient divert their attention to games or emails – again on their phones.  I don’t think Alexander Graham Bell ever envisioned his prized invention becoming such an intricate part of human life.   When my kids were growing up (in the 90’s) one of the popular questions of the time was: “When is it too young to give them a cell phone?  The concern was that they would over indulge:  Forget to do their homework; or/and concentrate too much on friends and games.  It didn’t cross most of our minds to question the impact the cell phone would have on the social development of a whole generation.

Today as I glimpsed over the population of cell phone fanatics in the core of the city of Montreal I realized how humanity as subtlety loss its grip on God’s-given-creation and chose instead to journey with a man made mystery. 

After reading my blog entry to GP -- he asked: “What are you saying? What’s your complaint exactly? What is it that you don’t like?” 

I chuckled.  He doesn’t usually have a Western expectation.  Any other time, he would have simply nodded and sat with it for a while.  Dreamt with it.  Yet, today hypersensitive to the experience like I was he surrendered to it; became part of it. 

“I don’t have a complaint,” I told him, “nor a judgment, nor a like or dislike.”

“It’s simply an observation,” I added, “a consciousness of the reality.”


I promised myself that every day I would tangibly be aware of what is there around me. That in itself pulled me out of the scene.  A silent witness.  Something else than the linear, Western perspective.  Circular: The Wheel.

Comments

MaryRose said…
"...Today as I glimpsed over the population of cell phone fanatics in the core of the city of Montreal I realized how humanity as subtlety loss its grip on God’s-given-creation and chose instead to journey with a man made mystery...."

This line resonated with me Lisa.
I found that since I decided to NOT have a cell phone for emails, FB etc... just for emergencies... I also noticed how much it has become part of our world today, so much so that we dont' see the forest OR the trees. I had become disconnected from nature!

When I lost my cell phone recently, I decided to not get a new one. I felt lonely. But I also felt more grounded, more present to my immediate environment and less fragmented - not to mention that my nervous system felt a lot calmer.

I became more aware of how acceptable it is for people to interrupt conversations with you to answer a text on their phones. Everyone does it. Then they come back as if nothing happened. I actually felt their presence leave the room and return.

I may be from an older generation lamenting for the "good ol days" when people talked to each other without interruption. But life goes on, change is inevitable. My parents saw the horse and buggy become trains and planes. Phones, not to mention computors never existed when they were young.

Each generation brings something new and we have to adapt. But I can choose to say no to some changes too, to not participate in the changes that don't work for me even if everyone else is doing it.

Its a choice I made.

MR
Lisa F. Tardiff said…
Thank you for your posting Mary Rose.
LISA

Popular posts from this blog

Drums and Rattles.

Lately I’ve received a few e-mails and letters from people asking questions about drums and rattles. I don’t think I’ve written a blog on this topic yet. JB wrote in his e-mail: “I often read that Drums are connected to Shamanism and often the tool of choice for Shamans. How do Shamans use drums differently than anyone else who’s in Shamanism?” I thought it was a great question. For starters, one of the reasons why a drum is an interesting tool in Shamanism is because it can mimic a heartbeat and induce a state of trance. A rapid heartbeat can trigger nervousness, excitement and even aggression. A very slow heartbeat can help in relaxation, sleep and dreaming. Every rhythm can inspire an emotion and can bring about the memory of a past experience or a parallel reality. In Shamanic circles the drum can be instrumental in healing, teaching, ceremony or ritual, expansion of consciousness as well as dreaming and journeying. Almost a decade ago I participated in a Mohawk namin

Authentic Shamanism

I brought up the topic of “authentic Shamanism” at one of my classes / circles this week. I’ve noticed especially in the last three to four years that when people speak to me about Shamanism, they often make a distinction between what they are doing and what “is out there.”  These days if you are not into Ayahuasca you are not authentically into Shamanism.  So what is “Shamanism” if it changes its appearance every decade?  Is it about altered states of consciousness through hallucinogens? Is it about ceremonies and rituals; or about soul retrieval, dreaming and healing?  Since Shamanism isn’t a Religion and doesn’t have set doctrines, then how can you anyone be clear on what makes it “authentic?” When I brought up the question this week, I received a few interesting comments.   Many of the individuals in our circles have struggled with addictions and it’s because of the Medicine Wheel teachings that their lives are full and healthy again.   The idea of defining Shamanism as a j

The Seven Clans

Wow! I can’t believe that in the last three years, I haven’t written a single blog on the topic of “the seven clans” of the Medicine Wheel. For the last two months our Montreal circle has been exploring the subject. I think it’s the first time in fifteen years that I ask my students to go out into the World and experience the clans first hand. “Look at people and see which clan they can belong to; or look at behaviors and attitudes and try to connect them to one of the Clans.” We often speak of the clans as the seven faces of Creator. In Christianity or Judaism God can be angry, impatient, judgmental and destructive; but he can also be merciful, compassionate, forgiving and loving. The Medicine Wheel may not personalize Creator in the same way many Religions do, yet in many ways it accomplishes the same end result where we can see ourselves as children of divinity. Often in non-traditional circles the seven clans are understood as archetypes. Each clan holds particular att