Skip to main content

Sacredness



Sacredness is often mistaken for politeness, kindness and goodness.   I find these days, every time the topic is brought up it’s as a mask used to express Christian and New Age dogma. People use the word “sacredness” to imply anything and everything that they judge as “proper behaviour, proper attitude, proper choice and proper exchange.”

When you leave people to understand “words” through definitions, you’re often left with a medley of perspectives; which don’t have much substance.  I remember watching my grandparents do cross-word puzzles every Sunday morning as I was growing up.  It seemed to be a popular activity amongst the old folks in the 1970’s.  Every time I gave it a try I always gave up because it seemed I lacked the vocabulary.  Until one day, my grandfather assisted me with one of the puzzles and said:  “It’s not about vocabulary: It’s about experience.” 

Like many of the First Nation elders who still speak their mother tongue, my grandfather believed that language wasn’t so much about academic intelligence; but about a deep, empirical connection with the world around us.  In the 1990’s when I chose to walk a “sacred path” I started to dream in a language I knew nothing about at the time. 

My husband would often tell me: “You talk in a weird language in your sleep.” 

It seemed I was fluent in a foreign language we both had no knowledge of.  It was only after taking note of a few dozen words, which repeated in my dreams and synchronically connecting to the right people that I was able to identify the language as Mi’kmaq, Wabanaki.  It didn’t come as a big surprise that somehow I remembered words; which were undoubtedly used by my ancestors. I figured at the cellular level I had access to this language because it translated my connection to ancestral memories.  In some ways it was “my mother tongue” in so much that it revealed how I related to my natural environment: To Mother Earth. 

In one of my dreaming classes last year, we spent close to three evenings learning “how to listen.”  It may sound somewhat demeaning to some; but the fact of the matter is our modern World leaves pretty much every thing to definition; but doesn’t actually take the time and effort to teach basic skills. 

In most cases people will say: “I know what listening means”; but they have very little response to the question: “… but do you know how to listen?”

More and more people are struggling with a lack of basic resources.  We live in a World where we have unlimited access to information; but in comparison, limited access to mentors, teachers, experts, masters etc…
I remember between the age of 10 and 16 years old, spending years while in school at the convent, learning about “posture”.  Today, people would giggle or frown at the idea of teaching our teenagers about such basic skills as table manners and posture; but what is often overlooked is how “sacredness” comes from giving value to the small details in our life.  How does it all come together? Experiencing the irrelevant, the overlooked, the judged and the rejected allows us to grow into awareness and adopt “sacred ways.”

Every Winter at the end of February the sun becomes a hopeful reminder of an approaching Spring.  Since this weekend our dogs have been waking up earlier each morning, sensing the sunrise.   I remember visiting my mother-in-law in the country when the children were infants.  In late February she would always recommend that we take our afternoon naps on lawn chairs, on the back porch; bundled up in warm clothing and a blanket.  

“February sunshine does wonders to increase our Vit.D” she would say. 

Looking back to the 40+ February months of my life what I remember the most is the presence of the sun.  If I were to give this month a name just by the repetitions in my story, it would be called: “Month of Seeking the Sun”.  Sacredness for me implies “associating” each inhale and exhale; each connection and relation; and each moment whatever it may be to a state of inspiration or reverence. 

For the last two years, I’ve been noting how I’m dramatically, physically affected by people’s stories.  90% of the time discussions leave me drained and exhausted.  Plus, I’ve developed the unpleasant attitude of running or hiding away from people.  It was only after sitting still with the experience that I discovered “I was lacking in sacredness.” Somewhere along the way, I stopped setting boundaries; pointing bad habits or even sharing “sacred knowledge.” I convinced myself people wouldn’t listen or would feel insulted.  My own attitudes and behaviours were showing sign of social influence. 

Lately, I’ve been asking people to share the “very best of themselves” with me.  I explain to people that if they take the time to come for a visit or give me a call it’s because I’m worth something to them.  Am I worth enough, for them to give me “the very best of who they are and the very best of their personal, life stories? On several occasions individuals admitted to me that it’s not so much about how much I’m worth to them; but about how little value they find in themselves and their stories.

One thing I learnt through my years at the convent is how to sit still and find sanctity in myself, and the world around me.  Today, young people have a difficult time sitting in silence.  Many of them feel they are stagnating if there’s no movement; or they are wasting time.  They constantly keep themselves busy with text messages and apps etc…  It seems we’ve invented the kind of technology that is mutating our brains and our bodies into small little machines.  The fact of the matter is we’re constantly looking for peace, calm, health, wellness, wholeness and happiness.  These aren’t realities for most people they are unrealistic goals. 

I disagree….

It doesn’t take trips around the World; years of academic studies; big corporate jobs with unbelievable salaries; huge homes overlooking a million dollar view; or cars, motorcycles and all the materialistic gain you can imagine – to be well, whole and happy.  All it takes is a clear, loving and trusting, wise, and grateful inner voice that whispers truth, pride and direction to you every day.

It starts by welcoming your personal story.
·      Affirming it.
·      Expressing it.
·      Giving it value.
·      Empowerment
·      Space and Time
·      Relating to it.
·      Surrendering to it.
·      Acknowledging the myth, the truth and the illusion through it.
·      Reasoning it out.
·      Sitting humbly with it.
·      Transforming it.
·      Letting your personal story challenge you.


If you do it one Moon / Month at a time – in a year from now, you’ll walk in sacredness. 

P.S. Picture: Great Canyon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drums and Rattles.

Lately I’ve received a few e-mails and letters from people asking questions about drums and rattles. I don’t think I’ve written a blog on this topic yet. JB wrote in his e-mail: “I often read that Drums are connected to Shamanism and often the tool of choice for Shamans. How do Shamans use drums differently than anyone else who’s in Shamanism?” I thought it was a great question. For starters, one of the reasons why a drum is an interesting tool in Shamanism is because it can mimic a heartbeat and induce a state of trance. A rapid heartbeat can trigger nervousness, excitement and even aggression. A very slow heartbeat can help in relaxation, sleep and dreaming. Every rhythm can inspire an emotion and can bring about the memory of a past experience or a parallel reality. In Shamanic circles the drum can be instrumental in healing, teaching, ceremony or ritual, expansion of consciousness as well as dreaming and journeying. Almost a decade ago I participated in a Mohawk namin

Authentic Shamanism

I brought up the topic of “authentic Shamanism” at one of my classes / circles this week. I’ve noticed especially in the last three to four years that when people speak to me about Shamanism, they often make a distinction between what they are doing and what “is out there.”  These days if you are not into Ayahuasca you are not authentically into Shamanism.  So what is “Shamanism” if it changes its appearance every decade?  Is it about altered states of consciousness through hallucinogens? Is it about ceremonies and rituals; or about soul retrieval, dreaming and healing?  Since Shamanism isn’t a Religion and doesn’t have set doctrines, then how can you anyone be clear on what makes it “authentic?” When I brought up the question this week, I received a few interesting comments.   Many of the individuals in our circles have struggled with addictions and it’s because of the Medicine Wheel teachings that their lives are full and healthy again.   The idea of defining Shamanism as a j

The Seven Clans

Wow! I can’t believe that in the last three years, I haven’t written a single blog on the topic of “the seven clans” of the Medicine Wheel. For the last two months our Montreal circle has been exploring the subject. I think it’s the first time in fifteen years that I ask my students to go out into the World and experience the clans first hand. “Look at people and see which clan they can belong to; or look at behaviors and attitudes and try to connect them to one of the Clans.” We often speak of the clans as the seven faces of Creator. In Christianity or Judaism God can be angry, impatient, judgmental and destructive; but he can also be merciful, compassionate, forgiving and loving. The Medicine Wheel may not personalize Creator in the same way many Religions do, yet in many ways it accomplishes the same end result where we can see ourselves as children of divinity. Often in non-traditional circles the seven clans are understood as archetypes. Each clan holds particular att