Skip to main content

My Inner Community (Fragments).

For those of us who believe in the Way of the Sacred Circle – we believe in the concept that “we hold a whole community within us.”  The notion of “beliefs” especially for contemporary Westerners often falls under the heading of “figurative or symbolic reasoning,” yet for traditional shamanic practitioners it’s an empirical reality.  In other words, for people like me the belief of an “inner community” takes tangible forms. 
Many years ago when Gérard and I started our study of the Wheel we were very impressed with how each “moon” explored very specific characteristics.  When we mention the word “moon” we assume “cycles”.  Every moon repeats itself every 13 years.  In other words you’ll revisit the Moon of Welcome or the Moon of Affirmation for example every 13 years: As a child, as an adolescent, as an adult and as an elder.  Through exploring the Moons and their unique traits G and I eventually named the moons to represent these features, and to help our student better explore their inner fragments. 
Moon fragments are called “inner children” in the World of Psychology.  Of course the Wheel helps us to bring growth, trust and love (the south elements of the Wheel) to these children so that they may develop into functional teenagers, adults and eventually elders.  When working through fragments on the Wheel with the help of Moons – it’s more then just “inner children”.  It’s also “inner teens, inner adults and inner elders.”  Even before you become an adult or an elder these “inner members of your community” exists.  You can refer to them for wisdom, resources and to so degree you can also have some “power” over how they develop. 
Through researching myths and legends Gérard and I noticed how the ancients were aware of natural and cosmological influences and personified them through stories.  The Gods and Goddesses for example were the “fragments” of the cosmos.  Mountains, Rivers, Rainbows and Northern Lights became Spirit with stories.  Even these fragments exist within our inner reality.  I’ve met a few people who hold the Medicine of Thunder and Lightning…
Humans have worshipped “superheroes” for millenniums.  The “superheroes” were neither good nor bad / heroes or villains.  They were simply “complicated or complex” with dualities; which influenced them to make countless choices, and take endless actions within the stories they starred in.  Like the Hebrew God of the Bible – his fragments ranged from “being angry and vengeful; to being fair and merciful; to being loving and protective; or even judgmental and unforgiving.” 
It’s not surprising that the same kind of characteristics can be explored in humans.  Some will argue that man invented God; and that like every author since antiquity we write fantasy stories inspired by our personal struggles.  Others will debate the topic and explore the possibility that “humanity mimics nature and the stars: The true inspiration behind the gods and goddesses.”  One way or the other a rainbow of characteristics or forms exists showing that each our Wheel (personal, collective, natural or cosmological) holds an array of fragments…
As I was growing up my parents often made the mistake of pegging my siblings and me under static, negative human characteristics. My brother was often called the “cluts”; my sister “the drama queen” and I was “cold blooded.”  My life certainly became easier when I stopped needing an “identity.” 
It was clear to me that I was a little bit of everything.  What makes me – ME – is how these different ingredients come together: The dosages of timidity, abruptness, kindness, or even snobbiness. I found it exciting and even inspiring to explore myself through “fragments”.  It gave me an opportunity to re-examine my life story and pinpoint the birth of these “characters.”  When did I suddenly find self-assurance; or get a touch of vanity?  I was able to explore the emergence of ME through my “fragments.” 
There are so many different creative ways to explore “fragments.”  For example as a child I loved dolls.  They represented parts of me and I valued them through this perspective.  On some days, I preferred the dolls that were athletic and adventurous; while other days, I brought out the homemaker and caregiver.  Through games I explored “duality” and searched for ways to be both independent and dependent; selfish and generous; loving and self-indulged … 
There had to be some way where I could bring all parts of me together and I didn’t need to feel divided, sad, angry or lost.
The 36 stones of the basic Medicine Wheel represent 36 different fragments of the self.  These fragments are scattered over an immense territory divided by the four directions.   They tell a story.  They explain every consistent and inconsistent detail within what we call: Our Story.  They represent “ME / US”. 
Fragments speak of us now (inner children, teenagers, adults and elders), yesterday (ancestral fragments / past lives) and even tomorrow… They can be totems (vegetable, animal, or mineral); and describes us within a communal setting; hence, within relations / relationships.  In the 21st century we can even relate to objects and suddenly, we’ve added another spiral of depth to our Wheel.  Fragments are all the different parts of us.  Through them we learn about self-discovery and we attempt the difficult task of “coming into wholeness or oneness.”  With the help for fragments we become more aware of how we represent the Universe at the finite and infinite dimension. 

Comments

Ally said…
I love how you explained fragments in this entry! Thank you!
Lisa F. Tardiff said…
Thank you Ally -- for writing a comment here on Rattling the Bones. Since NING -- much of the blog discussion is in private. I love it when people still contribute to this public blog. Thank you!
Unknown said…
I keep reading this blog and each time I do, I feel more ok with the duality within myself, and more ok with some of my 'not so nice' fragments. I really like this part......
"The “superheroes” were neither good nor bad / heroes or villains. They were simply “complicated or complex” with dualities; which influenced them to make countless choices, and take endless actions within the stories they starred in. Like the Hebrew God of the Bible – his fragments ranged from “being angry and vengeful; to being fair and merciful; to being loving and protective; or even judgmental and unforgiving.”

Awesome, thank you!
Unknown said…
I keep reading this blog and each time I do, I feel more ok with the duality within myself, and more ok with some of my 'not so nice' fragments. I really like this part......
"The “superheroes” were neither good nor bad / heroes or villains. They were simply “complicated or complex” with dualities; which influenced them to make countless choices, and take endless actions within the stories they starred in. Like the Hebrew God of the Bible – his fragments ranged from “being angry and vengeful; to being fair and merciful; to being loving and protective; or even judgmental and unforgiving.”

Awesome, thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Drums and Rattles.

Lately I’ve received a few e-mails and letters from people asking questions about drums and rattles. I don’t think I’ve written a blog on this topic yet. JB wrote in his e-mail: “I often read that Drums are connected to Shamanism and often the tool of choice for Shamans. How do Shamans use drums differently than anyone else who’s in Shamanism?” I thought it was a great question. For starters, one of the reasons why a drum is an interesting tool in Shamanism is because it can mimic a heartbeat and induce a state of trance. A rapid heartbeat can trigger nervousness, excitement and even aggression. A very slow heartbeat can help in relaxation, sleep and dreaming. Every rhythm can inspire an emotion and can bring about the memory of a past experience or a parallel reality. In Shamanic circles the drum can be instrumental in healing, teaching, ceremony or ritual, expansion of consciousness as well as dreaming and journeying. Almost a decade ago I participated in a Mohawk namin

Authentic Shamanism

I brought up the topic of “authentic Shamanism” at one of my classes / circles this week. I’ve noticed especially in the last three to four years that when people speak to me about Shamanism, they often make a distinction between what they are doing and what “is out there.”  These days if you are not into Ayahuasca you are not authentically into Shamanism.  So what is “Shamanism” if it changes its appearance every decade?  Is it about altered states of consciousness through hallucinogens? Is it about ceremonies and rituals; or about soul retrieval, dreaming and healing?  Since Shamanism isn’t a Religion and doesn’t have set doctrines, then how can you anyone be clear on what makes it “authentic?” When I brought up the question this week, I received a few interesting comments.   Many of the individuals in our circles have struggled with addictions and it’s because of the Medicine Wheel teachings that their lives are full and healthy again.   The idea of defining Shamanism as a j

The Seven Clans

Wow! I can’t believe that in the last three years, I haven’t written a single blog on the topic of “the seven clans” of the Medicine Wheel. For the last two months our Montreal circle has been exploring the subject. I think it’s the first time in fifteen years that I ask my students to go out into the World and experience the clans first hand. “Look at people and see which clan they can belong to; or look at behaviors and attitudes and try to connect them to one of the Clans.” We often speak of the clans as the seven faces of Creator. In Christianity or Judaism God can be angry, impatient, judgmental and destructive; but he can also be merciful, compassionate, forgiving and loving. The Medicine Wheel may not personalize Creator in the same way many Religions do, yet in many ways it accomplishes the same end result where we can see ourselves as children of divinity. Often in non-traditional circles the seven clans are understood as archetypes. Each clan holds particular att