Skip to main content

Dreaming Muscle

It was raining this morning when Gérard and me decided to take the dogs out for a walk.  Summer time is the only season where I enjoy being outdoors when it rains.  I think even the dogs appreciated the scene despite the fact that they were dripping wet by the time we returned home.  They played for a while in the backyard and we were able to towel them down before heading into house.  Suddenly a rainy morning became a moment of perfection where all of our senses were wide open and savoring.

I noticed recently that Gérard and I often share our dreams during our dog walk in early morning.  I think part of it is because “our dreams are still fresh in our minds” and we are still trying to figure out their meaning.  My teacher on the other hand, probably would have pointed out “how nature gives us better access to dream imprints” – explaining why we always start our conversations as we reach the park.  As traditional Dreamers, Gérard and I were taught to remember “impressions” rather than countless dream details. 

I was telling a student of mine recently how much times have changed.  Honestly I never thought the day would come where I would actually utter these words especially when it comes to Spirituality, Shamanism, and Dreaming.  In most cases people still explore dreaming from Jung and Freud’s perspectives.  When you look at dreaming and psychology or psychoanalysis it seems nothing has moved since the 20th century.  Yet, people have changed and so have their dreams.

Indigenous Dreaming explores dreaming as a connection between man and nature / man and the stars.  Details like over population, urbanism, and technology influences human nature and human behavior.  So much so that it eventually affects the way we dream about “our World and our environment.” 

Lately Gérard and I often start our dream discussions with the statement: “I had a strange dream last night.” 

More and more we notice that our dreams carry details and impressions; which are unfamiliar or “new to us.”  Last night’s dream for example was about a man who was trying to break into my home.  In the dream I recognized the man even though he was a total stranger to me.  I knew the man wanted me harm; and I took every precaution to lock every window and every door to keep him out.  I could hear him from outside shouting threats. 

He was warning me: “Your actions are futile.  I will be coming in.”

I woke up somewhat baffled and with a series of questions:

·      Why didn’t she call on neighbors or loved ones?
·      Why didn’t she call on the police?

The impression was that “I was looking into someone else’s reality”.  After sharing the dream with Gérard he informed me that before our dog walk, he had driven his mother to the courthouse; where she was a witness in a trial against a man who had broken into their apartment a year ago.  The man had violently broken down their door. 

Gérard wondered:

·      Why dream about my mother?
·      How does the dream connect to you?

The answers seemed so obvious and clear to me:

·      I dreamt of her because I was meeting with him in the morning and he was worried he would have to cancel.
·      The dream connects to me in a circular way – through my connection with him.

“That simple?” he asked trying to find another perspective. 

Honestly I was quite happy with the fact that I we managed to identify the character in my dream as his mother.  It seemed to answer all my questions.  G’s mom is not someone who readily asks for assistance.   She’s also not the kind of person who would jump to the conclusion that “someone would take advantage of their age and want them harm.”  The attitude of the dream character was so unlike me that it puzzled me.

I find I’m often able to let go of dreams after I identify the characters and identify the meaning behind the dream.  In this case this dream was informative:

·      It informed me about an event; which occurred last year and the lasting effects of it. 
·      It informed me that Gérard was helping his parents: Driving them to the courthouse.
·      And finally, it spoke of his mother and her issues with depending on others.

For hundreds of thousands of years humans have dreamt about the weather; their environment; territory; and journeying.  It’s always been a blessing for a hunter to dream about a herd of caribou for example, and to be able to identify where its hiding in a valley.  In ancient times some dreams allowed family members to visit while territories apart.  It’s only recent that dreaming has become about “subconscious issues”.  By changing our “focus” when it comes to survival we’ve also changed the purpose of our dreams.

I often tend to dream similarly to my ancestors.  People often laugh at me because I seem to be only person they know who refuses to depend on a cell phone. 

Yet, like I often explain:  “It’s this life choice; which allows me to dream of others and their reality.”

I don’t consider myself “a psychic” and yet, the information I receive on others through my dreams is always very accurate.  I tend to use my “dreaming skill” as a technology that was used for millenniums by my ancestors.  Unlike many people in my life, I can tell you 48 hours in advance whether we should leave earlier for the airport because of traffic; or cancel a supper downtown because of a snowstorm; or expect car trouble on the way to a workshop… 


If you don’t use a muscle it often looses it’s strength, and the same applies to dreaming!

*****

P.S. I plan to write a few blogs on dreaming because next week we are launching a two year POWER HUNT.  Many of the participants will inevitably search for ways to be stronger dreamers!

Comments

Anonymous said…
How does one strengthen their dreaming muscle...do you have to go to you to learn?
MaryRose said…
I find this blog very helpful in understanding why I dream certain dreams, I will pay more attention to making connections to figure out who I am dreaming about.

Thanks Lisa,

MaryRose

Popular posts from this blog

Drums and Rattles.

Lately I’ve received a few e-mails and letters from people asking questions about drums and rattles. I don’t think I’ve written a blog on this topic yet. JB wrote in his e-mail: “I often read that Drums are connected to Shamanism and often the tool of choice for Shamans. How do Shamans use drums differently than anyone else who’s in Shamanism?” I thought it was a great question. For starters, one of the reasons why a drum is an interesting tool in Shamanism is because it can mimic a heartbeat and induce a state of trance. A rapid heartbeat can trigger nervousness, excitement and even aggression. A very slow heartbeat can help in relaxation, sleep and dreaming. Every rhythm can inspire an emotion and can bring about the memory of a past experience or a parallel reality. In Shamanic circles the drum can be instrumental in healing, teaching, ceremony or ritual, expansion of consciousness as well as dreaming and journeying. Almost a decade ago I participated in a Mohawk namin

Authentic Shamanism

I brought up the topic of “authentic Shamanism” at one of my classes / circles this week. I’ve noticed especially in the last three to four years that when people speak to me about Shamanism, they often make a distinction between what they are doing and what “is out there.”  These days if you are not into Ayahuasca you are not authentically into Shamanism.  So what is “Shamanism” if it changes its appearance every decade?  Is it about altered states of consciousness through hallucinogens? Is it about ceremonies and rituals; or about soul retrieval, dreaming and healing?  Since Shamanism isn’t a Religion and doesn’t have set doctrines, then how can you anyone be clear on what makes it “authentic?” When I brought up the question this week, I received a few interesting comments.   Many of the individuals in our circles have struggled with addictions and it’s because of the Medicine Wheel teachings that their lives are full and healthy again.   The idea of defining Shamanism as a j

The Seven Clans

Wow! I can’t believe that in the last three years, I haven’t written a single blog on the topic of “the seven clans” of the Medicine Wheel. For the last two months our Montreal circle has been exploring the subject. I think it’s the first time in fifteen years that I ask my students to go out into the World and experience the clans first hand. “Look at people and see which clan they can belong to; or look at behaviors and attitudes and try to connect them to one of the Clans.” We often speak of the clans as the seven faces of Creator. In Christianity or Judaism God can be angry, impatient, judgmental and destructive; but he can also be merciful, compassionate, forgiving and loving. The Medicine Wheel may not personalize Creator in the same way many Religions do, yet in many ways it accomplishes the same end result where we can see ourselves as children of divinity. Often in non-traditional circles the seven clans are understood as archetypes. Each clan holds particular att