Skip to main content

Popular posts from this blog

Authentic Shamanism

I brought up the topic of “authentic Shamanism” at one of my classes / circles this week. I’ve noticed especially in the last three to four years that when people speak to me about Shamanism, they often make a distinction between what they are doing and what “is out there.”  These days if you are not into Ayahuasca you are not authentically into Shamanism.  So what is “Shamanism” if it changes its appearance every decade?  Is it about altered states of consciousness through hallucinogens? Is it about ceremonies and rituals; or about soul retrieval, dreaming and healing?  Since Shamanism isn’t a Religion and doesn’t have set doctrines, then how can you anyone be clear on what makes it “authentic?” When I brought up the question this week, I received a few interesting comments.   Many of the individuals in our circles have struggled with addictions and it’s because of the Medicine Wheel teachings that their lives are full and healthy again.   The idea of defining Shamanism as a j

Drums and Rattles.

Lately I’ve received a few e-mails and letters from people asking questions about drums and rattles. I don’t think I’ve written a blog on this topic yet. JB wrote in his e-mail: “I often read that Drums are connected to Shamanism and often the tool of choice for Shamans. How do Shamans use drums differently than anyone else who’s in Shamanism?” I thought it was a great question. For starters, one of the reasons why a drum is an interesting tool in Shamanism is because it can mimic a heartbeat and induce a state of trance. A rapid heartbeat can trigger nervousness, excitement and even aggression. A very slow heartbeat can help in relaxation, sleep and dreaming. Every rhythm can inspire an emotion and can bring about the memory of a past experience or a parallel reality. In Shamanic circles the drum can be instrumental in healing, teaching, ceremony or ritual, expansion of consciousness as well as dreaming and journeying. Almost a decade ago I participated in a Mohawk namin
Shadow  Emma Vanstone writes on her blog page where she shows you how to make and play with shadows that shadows are formed when light hits an object it cannot travel through . I don’t discuss the concept of “shadow” very often.  Actually I don’t think I have ever written about it.  Honestly, I tend to be a happy-go-lucky person who keeps her eye on the positive rather than the negative.  Light definitely moves through me mainly because I choose for it to move through me.  I’m a solution-driven person who looks at challenges and crisis as an opportunity to work at letting light move through me. I guess you could say “I believe in heroes and super powers”.   Looking back at the last few years and the events of 2023, I have to admit that the world is struggling with shadows.  They surround us globally but also at smaller levels like within our communities, our families, our couple relationships and even within ourselves, within our  personal dimension.  It seems like we are being called